RE: [TenTec] PTT vs QSK?

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: RE: [TenTec] PTT vs QSK?
From: "Rick Westerman" <Rick@dj0ip.de>
Date: Sat, 27 Dec 2003 20:54:51 +0100
Bob,

All the features you desire are already implemented in a
multitude of contest programs except that the calls have to be
entered by the keyboard, not by the paddle.

When we first started using these computers in 1988 in the
Bavarian Contest Club (- I started in 1977), we had tens of
operators objecting vigorously to using a keyboard to enter data.
We "insisted".  Over the years, one guy dropped out of the club
and over 100 ops learned to use the keyboard and I never once
heard anyone complain that it was better earlier without the
keyboard.

It typically takes only a few hours to get used to it.  Try it
out in a "not so important" contest.  Once you have made the
effort to learn and have learned, you will not regret it.

I understand those who say they don't want any computer.  I often
operate the Field Day contest as a single op, QRP, and use no
keyboard and no memory keyer.  It's all by hand, just for fun,
but it doesn't count towards the club competition that my club
participates in.

Once again, it's "Horses for Courses".

73
Rick