[TenTec] Re: Orion Prog AGC Threshold

To: "Marijan Miletic, S56A" <s56a@bit.si>, <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Re: Orion Prog AGC Threshold
From: "Marijan Miletic, S56A" <s56a@bit.si>
Date: Wed, 31 Dec 2003 16:27:09 -0000
W4ZV> Mario, it must be very nice to live in Europe where you don't have
to contend with dynamic range problems on 160!

Unfortunately that is NOT the case in EU where multi-national 160 m
frequency fights in DX window are legendary!
Last CQ WW 160m CW I operated from lighthouse with WWYC crew, vertical
antenna sorrounded 270 deg. by sea.
At the start of the contest young ops throw away two modern DSP radios and
settled for an older one with two narrow CW filters in both IF.
We managed #4 WW, #1 EU in heavy contested M/S category.  I wish we would
have Orion this year at 9A1P/9A7P young crews.

Regarding W8JI 160 m data, we measured about 10 mW of 2 m power between two
VHF kW stations about 10 miles apart.
That calls for 160 dB of dynamics and even better then Orion noiseless VCO!

73 de Mario, S56A, N1YU