RE: [TenTec] Orion and logging program

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: RE: [TenTec] Orion and logging program
From: "Tom Whiteside" <tomw@ecpi.com>
Date: Thu, 1 Jan 2004 10:23:20 -0600
Also, DX4Win works (with an AC5AA supplied driver).  TR works.   Writelog
supports the Orion but I need to upgrade to personally confirm that.

Incidentally, I reported a while back that TR and the Orion had a "funny" in
the ARRL 160M contest where rarely TR would read the rig frequency
incorrectly and switch the antenna off.   (Not a good thing....)    I've had
that happen with my K2 but very very rarely and never while transmitting.
One of the nice things about now having two radios that have band decode
outputs is being able to take the computer out of the loop and just directly
drive antenna selection with the radios.    Safer and the response is
instant.    Top Ten Devices has a real bargain on upgrading Yaesu versions
of their antenna decode boxes to support the Orion and installation was
easy.    Anyone thinking about automating their antenna switching should
check them out.   Works well with their switch boxes or WX0B's hardware.
Check them at: http://www.qth.com/topten/    (I have no interest in Top Ten
Devices other than wanting American companies with "TT" initials to
succeed...)

Sure been missing having an Orion since KE5C took his home after the ARRL
160M contest but mine shipped a few days ago - can't wait!

Tom Whiteside
N5TW Georgetown, TX