Re: [TenTec] Hi Cut / Lo Cut - Orion

To: Sinisa Hristov <shristov@ptt.yu>, tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Hi Cut / Lo Cut - Orion
From: Ulrich Hilsinger <dh0ghu@dh0ghu.de>
Date: Tue, 06 Jan 2004 01:56:55 +0100
Hello,

Sinisa, you are absolutely right. Me too, in CW, I normally use RIT - but sometimes also Cutting, but that's only due to the fact that I've only a 500 Hz filter in my TS850 - not sufficient at all for CQWWDX-CW and similar situations...

If it is a marketing trick, its a usefull one: It only costs a few cents (if, at all), but satisfies both, people used to use High/Low Cut, and people used to use PBT. The processor does not care if he has to calculate new filter coefficients from PBT/BW or from High/Low Cut :-)

At least, it is a PRO-ORION argument for me (being in the decission process of buying or not....) that it can be used in the way I am used to use my transceiver....

73, Ulrich dh0ghu

Sinisa Hristov schrieb:

Ulrich Hilsinger wrote:

I really can NOT imagine that things would get easier if I'd have to use
PBT + BW instead of High Cut / Low Cut..

I couldn't agree more, especially for SSB.
On CW I prefer to switch filters and move RIT :-)

Given that a filter has only two edges,
using four controls is beyond reason.

Probably a marketing trick, trying to satisfy
as many customers as possible, with everyone
finding his favourite knob out there :-)

73,

Sinisa YT1NT, VA3TTN