[TenTec] RE: Error in Ten-Tec Orion (565) Review?

To: "John Stensby (EE)" <stensby@eng.uah.edu>
Subject: [TenTec] RE: Error in Ten-Tec Orion (565) Review?
From: "Tracy, Michael, KC1SX" <mtracy@arrl.org>
Date: Tue, 6 Jan 2004 14:49:18 -0500
John (and the group),
          I was on vacation last week, and was greeted by a dead computer when
I got back, so I am just now getting this email.  The Orion review text is not
in error - indeed there is a delay between the key down and the appearance of
RF.  Every transmitter we've ever tested has *some* delay, partly to prevent
key bounce problems, partly to allow the VFO to properly settle and for other
reasons as well (such as the time required to allow amplifier relays to settle).

The ARRL's keying generator uses an open-collector transistor output to key the
transmitter.  The transistor is in the generator - not the transmitter.  The
voltage that appears on this line is supplied entirely by the rig under test.

73, Michael Tracy, KC1SX, ARRL Lab