Re: [TenTec] Jupiter VOX operation & Monitor level

To: "Dana Luke" <danaluke@maine.rr.com>, <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Jupiter VOX operation & Monitor level
From: "Mark Erbaugh" <mark@microenh.com>
Date: Wed, 7 Jan 2004 09:45:48 -0500
Dana,

> First, I have a model 705 gooseneck electret mike and I can't get VOX to
> work.  There's a switch on the bottom of the mike labeled "PTT/VOX" and
when
> I put it in the "VOX" position and press the black button on the top side
of
> the base the radio functions fine in VOX mode... but the manual that came
> with the mike says that this is for non-Ten-Tec rigs, for Ten-Tec rigs
leave
> it in the PTT position.  When I do this, it doesn't work in VOX mode.

To use the 705 for VOX with the Jupiter, you need to put the switch in the
VOX position. Then you need to lock the mic into transmit mode (left button
on the top - the LED will be on). Because you switched the switch on the
bottom, this action will not activate the PTT on the Jupiter, so it will be
dependent on the VOX.  You just have to remember to reverse the steps on the
705 if you want to go back to PTT operation.

> Second... the monitor volume, even when set to 100%, is too low on my rig.
> Is there an internal pot to adjust it?

This is a common complaint among Jupiter / Pegasus owners. I don't think
that there is an internal ajustment.  The monitor volume is also dependent
on the AF gain setting. You may be able to get enough monitor volume if you
crank the AF gain up. Of course, you'll have to crank it down when you go
back to receive.

Also, note that the monitor audio represents the audio going in to the
Jupiter, it does not include the effect of any processing in the radio, so
it really can't be used to make those adjustments - you'll have to do those
over the air.

> Thanks to anyone who replies either on list or direct!  I'm having a ball
> with the rig and really like it!

If you haven't already, check out the website N9VV.COM for information on
some mods you may want to make to your Jupiter.

73,
Mark, N8ME