Re: [TenTec] More Argonaut V ?s

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] More Argonaut V ?s
From: Donnie Garrett <cfzepp@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 12 Jan 2004 09:59:55 -0500
David:
No the Argonaut 5 does not use the conventional PTO setup that was used it the Corsair's and the earlier rigs. You won't have any frequency shift problems as typical of the Scout. I have a Argo 5 and it's a very nice rig for the money. The tuning is very smooth, and the rig is very stable! It has a nice receiver section in it. In my opinion the receiver in the Argo 5 sounds superior to the Jupiters receiver ( I have owned 2 of each). The DSP used in the Receiver section works quite well. It's narrowest filter setting is 200 Htz and it does a fairly respectable job at that bandwidth. I normally leave mine set at around 1800 Htz for normal cw listing then narrowing on down if necessary. The receiver has good sensitivity! I tend to use the Receiver RF Attenuator most of the time on 40 meters to help keep the receiver from overloading. The CW sidetone is excellent and has a nice soft sound with NO artifacts (meaning no thumping or ticking) in the headphones while sending cw. Overall Im quite pleased with the Argonaut 5. I think you will be also.

73, Don / WA9TGT

Kreinberg, David wrote:

Hello all,

I had some more questions regarding the Argonaut V. Does this rig use a PTO
for tuning? I'm not too sure
if I'm a PTO fan, or not. My Corsair II's PTO tuning seems smooth, but I
understand these can come down
with troubles later in life.

Also, does the Argonaut V suffer the frequency shift problems when using the
internal keyer as the Scout
seemed to? I have read many stories of Scout owners complaining of
instability problems when using its
keyer and going at higher code speeds. Something to do with how the
microprocessor couldn't keep up
with doing multiple tasks of some such thing.

Thanks for your insight.

73 de Dave, NR3E