RE: [TenTec] Centaur quiet fan?

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: RE: [TenTec] Centaur quiet fan?
From: "Rick Westerman" <Rick@dj0ip.de>
Date: Mon, 19 Jan 2004 05:54:05 +0100
"dimple" diodes are the German version of ......... YES, it's a
"simple" diode.

I build and sell PC's professionally.  I often use diode strings
to control fan speeds (and noise level) of the computers.
I've used it for linears' fans for about 25 years now too.  As
you pointed out, it works great for designing cheap and easy
adjustable bias for multi-tube linears (like the old sweep tube
linears).  Can't imagine using a resistor instead.

Flexibility:  Put in a large diode string and then a small switch
(toggle or multi-pole) to switch taps on the diode string.  For
normal use, run the fan low - for contest, flip a switch and the
fan speeds up to compensate for the continuous duty operation.
Easy as die (I mean pie).

By the way Pat, don't you use tiepo's to attach the antenna to
the mast? ;-)

73
Rick