Re: [TenTec] Quieting fan

To: Gary Hoffman <ghoffman@spacetech.com>, tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Quieting fan
From: Martin Ewing <martin@aa6e.net>
Date: Mon, 19 Jan 2004 18:54:02 -0500
This seems off-topic, but anyway...

Some of the larger xmtr tubes have water cooling jackets; they must predate the PC. So, nothing new here, except applying it to transistor finals.

You need a source of "chilled water" for this technique. You have to worry about green stuff growing in the water, spills, etc.

I have toyed with the idea of making an air distribution system, with a squirrel cage blower/compressor in an acoustically isolated place. Pump in large volume, relatively low pressure air instead of making noise with small fans. This is pipe organ technology.

Has anyone done it in a ham environment?

73 - Martin AA6E

Gary Hoffman wrote:
I design these kinds of things.  Much more compact than a heater core, and
no fan, and much cooler.

ok....end of shameless plug ! :)

Seriously, these work for radios too, and you can totally get rid of fans if
you want to.

Regards,

Gary

----- Original Message ----- From: "Gary Smith" <mandolinist@ameritech.net>