Re: [TenTec] Orion Aux Audio Outputs

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Orion Aux Audio Outputs
From: "Grant Youngman" <nq5t@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 19 Jan 2004 21:31:14 -0600
> I don't have an Orion, but I believe that that is correct. My
> understanding is that each of the aux outputs is connected directly to
> one of the two DACs. I believe either DAC can be assigned to either
> left or right output and if the same output is used for both channels,
> one DAC may not even be used and that AUX output will be muted.

Ok, I'm confused.

According to the manual, the left side output in AUX I/O corresponds to
the setting for "left" in the audio menu.  Similar for the "right".

K4IA had audio outputs (left/right) selected for "BOTH", or I think that's
what he said, and these are LINE outputs ( 0dBm into 600 ohms) per the
manual, unaffected by audio gain settings.  So he was getting "both"
main and sub receivers in the left  ... aux pin 4 no doubt, if he was using
the supplied AUX I/O interface cable.

By assigning LEFT-> MAIN he accomplished what the manual said
should have been accomplished .. that is, getting the subreceiver out of
the LEFT channel.

Now perhaps it doesn't work that way, and I don't have an 8-pin aux I/O
connector wired to test it.  Perhaps someone does?

But based on the result, it appears to work as advertised.

Or am I missing something ...

Grant/NQ5T