[TenTec] Orion Microphone choices and monitor function

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: [TenTec] Orion Microphone choices and monitor function
From: Don <w0djc@arrl.net>
Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2004 16:24:50 -0600
Hello All,

Thanks to all for your responses, most of which were constructive and instructive.

For those who are interested, I have ordered a Heil Goldline with the HC-5 element.
Should've gone with it first, rather than the Studio One, which produces excellent audio,
just not the particular sound that I'm looking for. (Which is punchy DX type audio, but not
as pinched as the HC-4...creating sociable rag chew audio with the Studio One is a breeze.)

With regards to the muffled monitor problem I had mentioned, it was fixed by re-updating
the radio with 1.367 again. One respondent to my original post postulated that my actual
audio must be muffled if it sounds muffled in the monitor. This in fact was not the case. Using
other radios in the shack to monitor my audio, my actual transmitted audio sounded just fine.
I was also receiving excellent audio reports on the air. As I was having a couple of other anomalies
with the radio, (that I thought were just quirks in the firmware to be ironed out in the future), and
master resets didn't seem to help, I decided to re-install 1.367, even though the original update
appeared to take as it should.

The new install of 1.367 did the trick! All of the "quirks" are gone, and monitored audio, although
it could be louder in my opinion, has lost the muffled sound that it had.

For those of you who may be experiencing some firmware issues, you may want to give a
re-installation of the firmware a try. Did the trick for me.

Certainly isn't a problem to learn a radio when it works like it should. Just like other radios
I have owned through the years, learning a new radio is one of the most enjoyable parts of the hobby.

Thanks again for your responses.

73 de Don
W0DJC