Re: [TenTec] Centaur quiet fan?

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Centaur quiet fan?
From: "Stuart Rohre" <rohre@arlut.utexas.edu>
Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2004 17:48:39 -0600
I have posted to list in past about mounting fans on rubber grommets and
sealing the edges with rubber wx stripping.  There should be no hard mounts
to the chassis of rigs, and this will aid quiet operation.

I would emphasize the suggestion of exploring for a fan with more blades and
same air moving rating.  This can change the sound you hear.

Soft mounting is probably the best solution as all the rig makers hard mount
fans, and all fan bearings eventually get noisy unless you upgrade to a ball
bearing fan.  They generally last well with low noise.
-Stuart
K5KVH