Re: [TenTec] Orion Antenna Tunerr

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Orion Antenna Tunerr
From: "Grant Youngman" <nq5t@comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2004 09:23:36 -0600
With

It is an LDG tuner with a wide tuning range of something like 6-800
ohms at 10:1 SWR.

It is very fast -- maybe 2 seconds at most.  It does not have
memories, but the speed of the tuner compensates.  It is an LDG
relay switched tuner, so there is some clicking when it tunes, but
you won't exactly need earplugs.

It is set up so that when you press the Orion's TUNE button, the
transmitter keys at about 20 watts, and unkeys as soon as the
antenna is matched.

When I'm not driving my amp with the radio, it's much more
convenient than twiddling with an external tuner.  As someone else
said, you may be able to find an external tuner for less money that
will accomplish the same thing.  For me, it's convenient to just have
it in the radio and be done with it -- fewer cables, and one less DC
power connection to fiddle with.

The only downside is that it is only inline on ANT  1, not on both
antenna connections.  So if you switch transmit to ANT 2, and still
need a tuner, you'll need something external.  Not an issue for me,
but YMMV,

Grant/NQ5T