[TenTec] Orion hookup questions

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: [TenTec] Orion hookup questions
From: N3SL@aol.com
Date: Sun, 1 Feb 2004 10:58:54 EST
I received my Orion last week, and I'm now at the point of hooking
everything together.
I have a general question for those more expert than I:
I'll be running the Orion with an Alpha 91B, which has the "key loop"
circuitry.  With my 1000MP, all I've ever used was the keying  transistor in
the rig
to the relay input of the amp, and things  always worked fine.  Is there any
particular advantage to using the  key loop (TX OUT/TX EN) circuit vs just the
AMP KEY, which I'm presuming is  just a transistor output?
On a more "rhetorical note" - Anyone know why TenTec supplies an accessory
cable that's only 5 pins, so doesn't include something as basic a FSK
connection, but does include the pin that's a spare?!  I fail to see the
logic/purpose in that.
Thanks in advance for replies.
73,
Steve