Re: OT - [TenTec] Orion diversity reception

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: OT - [TenTec] Orion diversity reception
From: K3BU@aol.com
Date: Sat, 7 Feb 2004 15:13:57 EST
btippett@alum.mit.edu writes:
  Yuri, I mentioned this on another reflector but will repeat it
here since you mentioned this.  It IS possible to request being
physically present when the inspection is done.  You may have to
wait awhile but it is possible since we did this on both legs
of a flight to NYC.  Just be sure you get to the airport in time
to allow for a bit of waiting.

                                                 73,  Bill  W4ZV

P.S.  I think the K2 would be my radio of choice for any expeditions,
even though it doesn't like my big hands and old eyes!

And you can buy 3 K2s for price of one Orion :-)
I was going to get K2, and try to put it together in C6, but XYL questioned
my sanity and possibility of missing some small part averted the adventure. I
am getting K2 and will review it also.
After using IC706, I was reminded the art of packaging and ergonomics on this
little rig. Wish TT learned some lessons and applied it to Orion.

On the procedures at the Airport, for the rest of the travelers, it works
like this:
You go to the airline counter, they process your tickets, weigh your luggage,
ticket them and tell you to go to security (long) line. There they ask you to
open any locks you might have on CheckIn luggage and leave it there by the
big Xray (whatever) machine. At this point you can proceed to the gate or wait
for inspectors to do the manual inspection, if they do not like what they see
on the scanner screen (like Bencher paddles). If they decide to open your
luggage, you can have the option to pack it back properly, or they will "do it"
for
you - just piling it back, unpacked as they wish (trouble).
CarryOn luggage is inspected as you pass through old style person and luggage
scanners. There you see what they do and can repack if needed to.
Reminder that latest regulation allow per person two CheckIn pieces, each 50
lbs on domestic or 70 lbs on international flights and one CarryOn (to fit
dimensions) at 40 lbs plus bag or notebook shoulder bag (there you can stick
your
200 lbs transformer and pretend its nothin' :-) Otherwise they will charge
you extra.

The contester's rig should fit in carryon luggage, especially if they are
more expensive.
The small knobs and controls can be duplicated via software on the computer,
some frequently used knobs should be placed ergonomically on the rig. We need
both ways.

Yuri, K3BU.us