Re: More Re: [TenTec] Orion redefines the meaning of ... AGC OFF

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: More Re: [TenTec] Orion redefines the meaning of ... AGC OFF
From: "Carl Moreschi" <n4py@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 8 Feb 2004 14:38:00 -0000
No elaborate test gear needed for this test.  I am right now listening to an
SSB signal at 24.948 mhz.  On the K2, the signal is barely discernable with
the preamp off.  With the preamp on, the signal jumps up a lot in audio
volume.  This is a symptom of insufficient gain.  On the Orion, the signal
sounds loud and clear and the very same volume with the preamp on or off.  I
am just switching the very same antenna bewteen the two radios.  Also, the
K2 is much poorer voice quality than the Orion listening to SSB signals.
This is because the K2 ssb filter is too narrow.  And the price of a K2 with
the 100 watt unit and SSB is $1150 and not $850.

It is much easier to get good IP3 and BDR numbers if you design with a low
overall gain factor.

Carl Moreschi N4PY
Franklinton, NC