[TenTec] Omni VI noise blanker

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: [TenTec] Omni VI noise blanker
From: "Rob Atkinson, K5UJ" <k5uj@hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2004 16:38:18 +0000
Mark,

My experience with the n.b. on my VI/3 has been that it works in some cases and not in others.
I would think that any non-random pulsing noise would be the same but apparently that is not so.
I have had both kinds. the n.b. seems to be most effective with weaker and what sounds to my ear, shorter duration pulses. If a nearby line starts arcing and the pulsing noise is loud and the pulse duration sounds long, (i.e. not a popping ignition type sound) then the n.b. is worthless.
I am no dsp expert at all so my theory, which is that it has trouble with a pulse that has a drawn out rise and fall with perhaps not much decay before the next rise, may be wrong.

Rob/K5UJ