[TenTec] Orion Enhancements

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: [TenTec] Orion Enhancements
From: "John Rader" <k5xtx@hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2004 18:55:26 -0600
I have owned an Orion for 4 months, and would like to share some of my thoughts with other owners about the Orion. The Orion unquestionably outperforms the competition. I particularly like the user configurable tools for fighting QRM and tailoring audio for individual preference. I generally think it is easy and logical to operate. FWU 1.369 seems to have fixed all the minor bugs except for various Sweep problems with my rig (changes with FW). There are some user interface items which could be made more efficient and convenient for the operator. I know some of these items are being looked at by TT, and they may now be focusing their efforts on enhancements. Some items have already been discussed on the reflector, perhaps now is a good time to throw in a few more. So here is my list of items for Orion owners feedback.

Most of these requests are shortcuts for accessing existing features more efficiently.

Wants:
AGC, threshold control and display on front and user definable name

User definable macros

DSP, more adjustment parameters in menu (decay)

PTT Sub RX mute setting, changes RX audio from BIN to Main RX stereo (so you can listen with both receivers, tune around with the Sub RX, and deselect BIN automatically without pushing a bunch of buttons) complicated explanation

Taper on encoders

Tuner hold select (holds tune if bands or antenna are changed, so you don?ft have retune if you listen around and return)

Memory quick recall/tune

John K5XTX