Re: [TenTec] A test of Orion's external CW keying

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] A test of Orion's external CW keying
From: "Tommy" <aldermant@alltel.net>
Date: Fri, 27 Feb 2004 08:50:16 -0500
From: "Sinisa Hristov" <shristov@ptt.yu>
Subject: [TenTec] A test of Orion's external CW keying

> A test of Orion's external CW keying

Sinisa.....

    Thanks for posting your detailed information. (by the way all copies
sent appeared on the reflector). Any chance of you obtaining the same data
using the same equipment on other radios, such as the IC-756Pro2 and any one
of the Yaesu FT 1000 series of radios? Would be interesting comparisons but
I understand how much  work that would involve.

    The reality of shortened pulses is that MOST OF THE TIME, they can not
be literally heard during a QSO (unless you specifically ask someone to
closely listen for them) and for sure no one is going to hear them during a
contest. At least a serious contester is not going to pay attention to them
as long as they can copy your call. That does not excuse the problem, if
there is  one.

    As a CW operator, I have asked for signal checks on the air from hams
who I know are very critical about what they hear. If I'm running around 30
wpm and barefoot, with the rise time set for 3ms, there is some evidence of
clicks, but so far no one has mentioned the shortening of a pulse. Solution
for the clicks is to simply set Tr at 5ms or more. It's interesting that
with Tr set for 3ms, there is some evidence of clicks (by the listener), but
if I turn my amp on with more than a KW output, they can not hear the clicks
(I dont fully understand that one...may be the listeners Fast AGC is too
slow). On the rare times that I get into high speed CW, I have found on my
Orion if I set Tr to 3ms, I can run the Orion at full QSK up to 78 wpm.
Anyway, as we all know, test equipment will show you a set of results that
one's ears are easily able to filter out and/or ignore. Since July 03, with
Tr set to >5ms (I normally set mine for 8ms for speeds below 50 wpm), all of
the on-the-air comments I get are excellent and thats without the listener
know what rig I'm running until after he gives me his comments.

By the way, kinda in response to Yuri's question, I have looked for a RF
spike on my Orion and did not see one. However I do not have a storage
scope, just a 500MHz BW scope. But I do know what to look for as every
IC-781 I owned produced an RF spike of over 200 watts on the leading edge,
which of course did not take very long to kill power amp tubes! I think it
was VE3DC who came up with component changes for the IC-781 ALC circuit that
reduced that spike significantly.

Again thanks for the info.

Tom/W4BQF