Re: [TenTec] QUESTION: CORSAIR FILTERS

To: <tentec@contesting.com>, <murphman@erols.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] QUESTION: CORSAIR FILTERS
From: "Mike Hyder --N4NT--" <N4NT_Mike.Hyder@charter.net>
Date: Mon, 1 Mar 2004 12:14:35 -0500
Hi, John--

I believe the first Corsair used a 4-pole filter in one of the positions.
Many people replaced this 4-pole filter with an 8-pole, Model 220 Ten-Tec
filter (2.4 kHz SSB filter) and were happy with the improvement.

My Argosy II came stock with the same 4-pole filter.  I operate only CW and
was astounded at the improvement in my rig when I replaced that filter with
the 8-pole.  All of a sudden the little Argosy II sounded like a "real
Ten-Tec."  My Argosy II also has a 500 Hz CW filter and an audio CW filter.
In my normal operation, I use only the audio CW filter and seldom if ever
switch in the narrow crystal filter.

In my other Ten-Tecs I use only the CW audio filtering when operating CW and
keep the crystal CW filters switched out.  But I am one who likes to hear
what is going on around my frequency -- especially when operating in a round
table.  My Corsair II has the 1.8 kHz, the 500 Hz and the 250 Hz filters
installed.  I NEVER use the 1.8, almost never use the 250 and just a few
times have used the 500 Hz.  My operating is not demanding, I usually rag
chew with folks who have nice signals.  I do not chase DX or work contests.

Based on my experience and operating style, I'd certainly replace that
4-pole filter and then, if I felt the need, I'd add the 500 Hz crystal
filter.

73, Mike N4NT