Re: [TenTec] The Tea Party

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] The Tea Party
From: Robert & Linda McGraw K4TAX <RMcGraw@Blomand.Net>
Date: Thu, 04 Mar 2004 18:52:51 -0600
Here is my earlier direct response to one of the contributors here on the
reflector on the BPL issue.  Lets be positive about any attempt we might
muster.  Think about results not retaliation.

Now, back to my desk and the Tentec radios.

73
Bob, K4TAX

I wouldn't count too heavily on this idea working.  Remember, BPL is
designed to work within the bounds of power line noise.  I doubt that a
blender, electric fence or such would even begin to produce the noise
required to cause a problem.  The BPL signal is intended to stay within the
power line at values up to 56KV.  Any radiation is therefore incidental.
Since the BPL signal is a variable rate, variable duty cycle pulse, it is
virtually immune to any repetitive noise such as generated by a line driven
motor or such.

Secondly, generating a signal to "over power it" is almost impossible in the
ham community.  Remember it is riding basically on a 56KV sub-carrier being
the 60 Hz power line.  To generate and induce that value of voltage would
require several megawatts of RF into a 10 dB gain yagi or such.  Not
practical on HF.

The total solution is to stay on the power company's case, stay well within
the law and make them keep the radiation down to within the limits
prescribed so as not cause interference to a licensed service.  Bottom line,
they don't have the resources or won't dedicate the resources to comply.
What then?  We document and file legitimate technical complaints.  It works
with power line noise and the FCC does require them to correct the problem
or pay hefty fines.  Oh, it takes time but the slow turning wheels of FCC
justice do work.

I'm armed and ready.  I've carefully documented my noise levels in 10 degree
azimuth  increments over a 120 day period.  Any changes when and if BPL
comes to this area will be clearly identified and documented.  Should one
not do this then there is no technical basis to say the BPL noise is or is
not a problem.

Fact:  BPL technology is very fragile, expensive, and is entering a highly
competitive market with regard to high speed broadband services already in
existence.  i.e. telephone DSL, cable and etc.  Is the customer base
adequate to accept another service?  BPL sites must start from the ground
up.  Big bucks to be invested.  I see it as a looser for most power
companies as the board of directors won't stand long for that.  The thinking
is that BPL is to serve those areas that do not have broadband service.  I
expect that since the remote areas do have electricity (required for BPL)
then the phone companies already having wire in the area and most likely
cable companies would want to expand their service.  In each of their cases
they get 2 customers being 1 cable TV customer and 1 broadband customer.
Same true for the telephone customers and companies.  As to the electric
companies, they only will gain a broadband customer for a large investment.

And that's the rest of the story.