Re: [TenTec] The Tea Party Even worse, now on High VoltagePrimaries???

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] The Tea Party Even worse, now on High VoltagePrimaries???
From: "Stuart Rohre" <rohre@arlut.utexas.edu>
Date: Fri, 5 Mar 2004 13:19:01 -0600
Oh my gosh,
Scott Prather's post tells of a new development in BPL line use:   On a
Primary, (the widest spaced) lines!!  Previously, BPL testers had used the
low and medium voltage lines and now this press release talks of going "one
mile without a repeater" on 69 kilo volt line!

Well, will bad engineering never cease?   The wide spaced primaries will be
excellent flat top antennas at HF creating even worse RFI!  It boggles the
mind that any competent engineer who made it out of sophomore physics would
attempt such a stupid application in the face of transmission line and
antenna theory.   The early doublets for Marconi, were similarly spaced flat
tops as a HV transmission line forms.

This lends more support to my suggestion that hams cross country use their
beams and good sensitive and selective Ten Tec radios to monitor and record
skip BPL interference for submission to ARRL.

I stand corrected in what I posted about previous BPL being only for medium
and low voltage residential service.  Indeed, I got a message about 52 kV
service trials of BPL as well.  There appear to be several schemes of
bringing BPL to the neighborhood secondary lines.

However, it should be noted; what advantage is there to a BPL that requires
a repeater EVERY mile?  There goes the BPL advocates' argument that the
infrastructure was already in place!
73,
Stuart
K5KVH