Re: [TenTec] tighter filter for Jupiter

To: jsb@digistar.com, tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] tighter filter for Jupiter
From: Duane A Calvin <ac5aa@juno.com>
Date: Thu, 11 Mar 2004 09:47:06 -0600
Hmm, standard measurement would say it should be 300 Hz at the 6 dB down
point, and then wherever it measures at 60 dB down would give you the
shape factor (how vertical the skirts are.)  Have you sent a note to
Ten-Tec about what you're seeing vs. what the rig is providing?  Perhaps
there's a problem somewhere?

        73,  Duane

On Thu, 11 Mar 2004 09:04:43 -0500 (EST) jsb@digistar.com writes:
> On Wed, 10 Mar 2004, Jason Buchanan wrote:
>
> > Does anyone know if there is a way to get a tighter filter for
> the
> > Jupiter?  I find myself trying to squeeze the bandwidth filter
> tighter
> > than 300Hz.  There are times I wish I had 100Hz! :-)
>

> Thanks to all who replied.
>

> I would ultimately prefer to see the firmware modified slightly to
> further
> narrow the bandwidth instead of a post-AF stage filter.
>
> It seems, using MixW to analyze the output viewing the waterfall,
> that at
> 300Hz the bandwidth is actually closer to 600Hz wide, 300Hz wide
> either
> side of center frequency.  I was hoping the 300Hz filter would be
> 300Hz
> edge-to-edge, not 300Hz either side of the VFO frequency.
>

> thanks,
> Jason N1SU

Duane Calvin, AC5AA
Austin, Texas