Re: [TenTec] Problem with 705 mic

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Problem with 705 mic
From: Carter Grabarczyk <k8vt@ameritech.net>
Date: Sat, 13 Mar 2004 09:59:55 -0500
Mark Toussaint wrote:
I recently purchased a used 705 mic and it has a problem. Before I
send it back, I wanted to see if there are some suggestions you folks
might have on its repair.

1. The mic came without a 9 volt battery, so I put one in and noticed
the red transmit LED was on.

2. Hitting both the PTT and lock switches on the base had no effect
on turning it off.

3. I opened the 4 pin connector and all looked good there (nothing
shorted across PTT and GND pins)

4. I put the mic on my omni 6 and when plugged in, it immediately
kicks the rig into transmit and it does work, provide audio to the
rig.

When I open the base up later today, any suggestions on what to look
for (don't have a schematic but can't imagine its too complex) ?

Mark,

Sorry I can't help with the main issue of the red light being on (especially as you already tried the "lock" switch), but if/when you resolve that issue, here is a tip--when using the 705 with the Omni 6, you do *not* need to have a 9 V battery installed. Power is applied from the Omni 6 mic connector to the 705.

When you take the bottom off, make sure the lock switch is not defective (i.e., always on).

Let me know if you really get stuck and I will try to find the schematic for my 705.

It's a good mic for the Omni and if you got it at a reasonable price, don't be too hasty to send it back.

73/Carter/K8VT