Re: [TenTec] 80 meter loops

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] 80 meter loops
From: ac5e@comcast.net
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2004 12:05:28 +0000
While Bob's comments are well taken, we get to FD operations because they were
mentioned early in this thread.

And with all due respect to those who have operated the W5NA/K5PN station, we
have never had enough experienced contest operators to make a competitive
operation. But we always seem to place near the top of our class.

For example, during our best outing, we were down for nearly three hours for
weather: our most experienced CW op worked less than 8 hours before he had to
leave; our only experienced SSB op started the 'test and had to leave around 3
PM, to return for a couple of hours Sunday morning; and the rest of the
operation was with VERY inexperienced operators. Score wise, the high scoring
op was a persistant young ham who had been a Tech Plus for less than three
months at the Novice station. And that was the first time our Tech had been on
HF. Most of the time anyone available muddled through - albeit very slowly on
the CW station.

Equipment wise we had a F12 C3 for the CW station, a Mosley for the SSB
station, a R7 for the Novice station, and the two Vees were swapped back and
forth between the CW and phone stations according to propagation. Rigs were two
of my Omni VI+'s (or option 3's, don't remember) on the phone and CW station,
and a Delta II for the Novice station. Computer logging with paper backup - and
thank the Good Lord for the paper backups!  All powered with a 10 KW gas
generator. Along with the Dunestars and other equipment that were necessary for
such a closely packed operation. The coffee pot being the one important piece
of equipment.

Oh yes - besides the weather we were shut down at least once for visiting
critters. Even a grass snake looking for a dry spot in a thunderstorm gets
pretty scarey.

73  Pete Allen  AC5E