Re: [TenTec] 80 meter loops

To: Rick@dj0ip.de, tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] 80 meter loops
From: Ynkedragon@aol.com
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 2004 10:16:53 EST
In a message dated 03/17/2004 01:35:40 Eastern Standard Time, Rick@dj0ip.de
writes:

> My vertical loops were completely different - triangular, as I
> described in an earlier post, and fed just beside one of the
> lower corners with an electrical quarter wavelength of 70 Ohm and
> then random 50 Ohm coax.  These are DX-only antennas.

I've done something different--feeding a vertical tri-angular loop (apex up)
with ladder line about 4' above a bottom corner.  Most definitely a DX antenna
with interesting properties.  In domestic contests I could barely hear
western PA (250 mi.) but TX was strong at mid-day (on 40).

On multiples of the design frequency, the loop became directional in the
plane of the loop--not broadside to it.  Mine were cut for 40 meters, and hung
favor a NE direction for Europe.  On 14 & 21 MHz the antenna was excellent
into the Mediterranean (SU, SV, 4X).  At 28 MHz I got great reports from
northern
Africa/SW Asia and the KH6-JA areas of the world.  All this with a barefoot
Argosy running 50 watts.

Great return for $15 of wire (including feedline) hung in a tree.

73,  Blair k3yd