Re: [TenTec] The problem with directly end fed wires

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] The problem with directly end fed wires
From: "JAMES HANLON" <knjhanlon@msn.com>
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2004 12:14:31 -0700
Bob wrote:

> I still stand on the position that a center fed wire of any length, fed
> with
> a balanced feed from a tuner will perform best as an all band
> configuration.
> If it is reasonably well balanced, no RF in the shack will exist, with or
> without a ground.

For more than 40 of the 51 years I've been licensed, my antenna has been a
"Center-Fed Zepp" ala what Bob described.  For about 20 of those years I
lived on a city-sized lot in Columbus, Ohio, and the longest flat-top I was
able to get up was only 67 feet.  I center fed it with open wire line, long
enough to reach from the antenna to the shack in the basement - no magic
length - and it loaded and worked well on all bands including 80 and 75
meters.  As Bob says, I have never had a problem with RF in the shack using
this type of antenna.  My current antenna is a half-wave on 160, thanks to
four acres of land here in NM, and it works well on all bands.

For several years when I lived in Emmaus, Pennsylvania, I had an end-fed
version of this antenna up, 134 foot flat-top end fed with open wire line.
That also worked very well.

By the way, while I was in PA I happened to talk to G. H. Brown, VP of RCA
Labs in Princeton, NJ.  Dr. Brown was the inventor of the turnstile antenna
used by TV broadcasters among many other antenna types.  He chided me as a
ham because we amateurs, according to him, hang a lot of matching networks
out in the middle of our antennas where they are subject to deterioration
due to weather and where they are very hard to get to for adjustment.  He
mentioned a satellite antenna that he had designed that had a vswr of 6 on a
very short run of coax.  He figured that he got less loss by putting his
matching network "inside" rather than out on the antenna.

In case you have a copy of Terman's Radio Engineers' Handbook, look up G. H.
Brown in the Author Index (page 997 in my 1943 edition).  He has 19
citations, second only to F. E. Terman who has 43.  But then Terman wrote
the book!

73,

Jim, W8KGI