Re: [TenTec] Omni VI low TX power

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Omni VI low TX power
From: OTAKEBI@aol.com
Date: Sat, 27 Mar 2004 22:43:50 EST
I would check the power supply itself.
Could be that when the power supply gets hot it cuts back on power to the rig.
Also, your finals could be going south from old age.
This can cause a power supply protection feature to cause the supply to fold
back on itself.
Put you Omni meter on IC.
Check IC when you first turn rig on at full output keydown.
Let radio warm up and then check IC again at full output.
Your IC should be about 18 to 20 A at 100W
Check to see if IC is higher.
If final is bad IC will stay @ 18 to 20 or could go higher even with lower
output after warm-up.
The power supply should be checked with a load.
If you have another power supply or can get one from a friend switch them out
and see if you still get low output with the other supply after warm-up.
If one of your finals is going soft it would account for the almost 1/2
output you report.
My Omni V puts out about 95 watts @ 14.050 into 50 ohm dummyload.
Even ARRL review of that radio shows 92 to 96 watt output on all bands.
If I were you I would call TT on Monday.
They will help.
If the finals need to be replaced also replace the drivers.
TT has told me that it is not a hard job to do.
Dan N4VET