[TenTec] Omni VI versus Paragon

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: [TenTec] Omni VI versus Paragon
From: Ken Brown <ken.d.brown@verizon.net>
Date: Thu, 01 Apr 2004 21:56:02 -1000
Hi all,

The Omni VI and Paragon are both great radios. I do not know exactly how they compare as far as MDS (minimum discernable signal) goes. If measurements were made using a single signal generator, it may be that the Paragon would have a lower noise floor, and a lower minimum discernable signal. However phase noise in the local oscillator(s) does not really cause trouble in the special (not real band conditions) case of a single signal from a test source. Phase noise in the LO causes interference from signals that should be outside the IF filter bandbass. This can be demonstrated with a single signal generator. How it affects reception of a weak signal inside the IF filter bandpass can only be demonstrated with multiple signal sources, like in a contest, or in the lab using more than one signal generator.

I know that my Omni VI has some birdies on 160 meters. In most conditions, with most antennas, most of the birdies are below noise level from the antenna. I know that in contests with lots of strong signals it works great. I do not have the test equipment to quantify that statement. My guess is that the Omni VI would do better in the contest situaltion than the Paragon, and perhaps on a quiet band the Paragon would do better pulling out a lone weak signal. The Paragon will definitly work better outside the (extended) ham bands that the Omni VI covers. I would not discourage any ham from buying a Paragon.

DE N6KB