[TenTec] RE: [Orion] Are contesters switching to the Orion

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: [TenTec] RE: [Orion] Are contesters switching to the Orion
From: ac5e@comcast.net
Date: Sat, 17 Apr 2004 20:00:54 +0000
Well, I am in the midst of moving so have serious antenna problem. The good
beam is fixed on Africa and I don't feel like changing the rotor only to move
tower and all this summer - the 30 Meter dipole is down and ditto - the
vertical has feedline problems and ditto - but the guys who have used the Orion
here say they will never contest with their 756/MarkV's or whatevers again.

As far as reliability problems with the Orion are concerned, IF I still owned
an Icom HF rig I would be far more concerned with the many documented failures
of those rigs over the last couple of years. Since I'm not - and considering
how close knit the Ten Tec and Orion groups are, I rather suspect that most of
the Orion's actual rig failures will have been mentioned on one or the other of
the reflectors. And that means the Orion must be very reliable indeed.

DXpeditions? Ten Tec does not sponsor DXpeditions. Any Orion carried on an
expediton will be someone's property, carried at the owners risk, and at some
individual's expense. That does not detract from the quality of the radio - but
only reflects on the advertising budget of the companies who do sponsor
expeditions. Advertising that is bought and paid for with money that might well
be spent building a little more reliability into the equipment they currently
have on the market.

73 Pete Allen  AC5E

--
Never squat with your spurs on