[TenTec] RFI

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: [TenTec] RFI
From: Richard Hemingway <rheming1@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Thu, 22 Apr 2004 14:46:43 -0500
I guess I will put in my 2 cents worth. I used to have a great station when we lived in a house and did have some RFI problems. However, we are now living in a retirement apartment where I am severely antenna and power challenged. The Orion I have does a great job of listening - better than any radio I have owned over the years (FT-1000D, Omni VI, Scout, IcomProII - which I sold to buy the Orion). I am using a Isotron 20 antenna sitting on the top of my bookcase pointing out the window, which is about five feet diagonally from the Orion. I have chokes on the line at the Orion and the antenna. I operate at about 10-20 watts, mostly on CW and PSK, and now have not problems with RFI either in my computer (Apple G5) or radio. I had a small problem with the computer before the chokes. I would think that my rig and m yself are bathed in some RFI. Anyway, I sure like the Orion and have been making contacts over most of the US and into Canada

Dick N5XRD