Re: [TenTec] new set of paddles for my Jupiter

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] new set of paddles for my Jupiter
From: "Stuart Rohre" <rohre@arlut.utexas.edu>
Date: Thu, 29 Apr 2004 18:36:30 -0500
John,
Well, I have both types of paddles.  Spring action, is of course a coil
spring.   For my touch, I like the magnets replacing the springs better, but
they are a bit of a chore to adjust.  Of course, so is a spring tension.
Some Spring paddles are easily upset and fall apart, like the Bencher.  Easy
to fix but a bother going to a field operation or coming home.  The magnets
attract a steel piece and when you key you are pushing against magnet
attraction, so you get a spring like action, but not as mechanically "hard"
if that makes sense.

I would expect the magnets to hold the adjustment longer, as they should not
have metal fatigue the spring suffers and are not as influenced by
temperature of the air.  There are also paddles originally
made as a kit by NorCal QRP group, but now sold by Vibroplex, that have
springs but are more suited to carrying to a field operation.

The Vibroplex Co. has a magnet model paddles set as well.
Stuart
K5KVH