Re: [TenTec] New $10K Yaesu HF

To: Les <lesterw@ev1.net>, tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] New $10K Yaesu HF
From: Ken Brown <ken.d.brown@verizon.net>
Date: Sat, 15 May 2004 21:57:39 -1000

I have a godson who is quite computer
literate and interested in amateur radio. I would no more advise him to look
up this form than I would have him listen to 27 mhz.

Okay, fine, but don't you mean "forum"?

I am interested in communications weather
it is with a $4,000.00 Tentec a $10,000.00 dollar Icom, Yaesu or a Trash can
radio. I am recent convert to Tentec and I hope I never close myself off to
others because they have a different choice in rigs than I do.

Varied opinions about what makes a good rig and what makes a good value in a rig are part of how we learn about the gear and are part of the information we use to decide where to spend our dollars. If you want to spend $10K on a rig that looks like a VCR on steroids, that so far has not been shown to be equal in performance (knob and button count not considered) to a $4K rig, be my guest. I'll be glad to QSO you, and I'll not berate you for your choice. Somebody has to buy one so we can find out how well it does work. Hopefully after spending $10K you would still be humble enough to give an accurate assessment of the rig, even if you found you had spent $6K more for cosmetics and got no real improvement in performance. Of course at this point none of us really knows.

Enjoy whatever rig you have, and dream of the ultimate rig you hope to have. We'll continue to discuss what exactly that ultimate rig is.

73 DE N6KB