[TenTec] Re: CQ-Contest Digest, Vol 17, Issue 20

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Re: CQ-Contest Digest, Vol 17, Issue 20
From: "Ron Notarius" <wn3vaw@verizon.net>
Date: Tue, 18 May 2004 10:01:59 -0400
Actually Yuri, rumor has it that Ten Tec is going to counter the new Yaesu &
ICOM rigs sometime soon.

It will be three Orion's in a blister pack!

Seriously, I don't understand your continued animosity towards the Orion in
particular and Ten Tec in general.  While I don't own one yet, I have had
many opportunities to use one from a local ham, both in casual operating and
in contest situations, and I've never had a problem with it.  For that
matter, outside of a few minor tips the owner showed me (which I would have
caught on to quickly), I found operating the Orion to be very intuitive,
unlike some of the recent offerings from the Big Three.  And I don't
understand your complaints about ergonomics; a color display would have been
pretty, but other than that, I never ran into any of the concerns you
mentioned.

I think the "how many people" comment about returns deserves some
quantification.  First, how many is "how many?"  Second, let us not forget
that no matter how well a rig is designed, your dream rig is someone else's
nightmare, so matter what, there will always be returns.  And third, let us
not forget that Ten Tec, to their credit, has the most liberal return policy
around.  Naturally it gets taken advantage of (in both senses of the term!)

Finally, I think that crack about the "Ten-Tec hallelujah" reflector was
uncalled for.  Just because someone doesn't agree with you, that does not
mean that they are a zealot for the other side.  Careful reading of the
reflector posts over the last few months would clearly show that while most
Orion owners are very happy, there have been problems (what rig doesn't have
problems in the production run?), there have been returns to the factory,
and some have gotten their money back.  You don't have to "lurk" there to
find this out.

73, ron wn3vaw