RE: Re: [TenTec] INRAD filter for OMNI VI/Plus series ... maybe OmniV?

To: "TenTec (E-mail)" <TenTec@contesting.com>
Subject: RE: Re: [TenTec] INRAD filter for OMNI VI/Plus series ... maybe OmniV?
From: "Rick Williams" <rick.williams@telus.net>
Date: Sat, 22 May 2004 09:04:12 -0700
Well the 9 MHz boards on the Omni V and Omni VI from the RX input to the 2.4
kHz filters are virtually the same.  Many of the connectors and parts have
the same numbers.  There are some slight differences (in/out refers to the
roofing filter):

                              Omni V         Omni VI

Filter bandwidth                12 kHz        15 kHz
Fixed in/out caps on filter     33 pF         18 pF
Variable in/out caps          4-20 pF       4-20 pF
Chokes in/out                  8.2 uH         10 uH
Bypass caps in/out to GND      120 pF          N/A

       Note:  The bypass caps are on the RX input prior to the filter chokes
and padding caps AND on the output side after the padding caps and choke.
It's interesting that these caps are C1 and C6 respectively on the Omni V.
A quick examination of the Omni VI schematic shows that part numbers C1 and
C6 don't exist!  On the Omni VI the 3 transistors in this stage have all
been changed to generic 2N3904s but biasing remains unchanged from the Omni
V.

In summary, with the possible exception of the padding caps on the filter,
it looks, in my opinion, like the filter mod might also be applicable to the
Omni V!

Thanks to Greg (K7KJ) for the Omni VI schematic info.

Anxiously awaiting more info from InRad!
73,

Rick
VE7TK / VE7ASR