[TenTec] ORION ISSUES, PROBLEMS, FIX, etc,

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: [TenTec] ORION ISSUES, PROBLEMS, FIX, etc,
From: w4tje <w4tje@mindspring.com>
Date: Sun, 23 May 2004 21:28:28 -0400
Every time a new software update comes out, this reflector goes through this same procedure.
First issue that comes up--- HELP, I BROKE MY ORION WHILE TRYING TO DOWNLOAD THE LATEST SOFTWARE.
Then, over the next several days, the offended party finally learns to de-activate the anti-virus protection, or some other similar solution.
answer: Tentec has no control over ur computer, the software in it, or ur inability to use it. I suggest u learn to use ur computer if ur going to update this radio. Learning to use ur computer involves more than knowing how to send an e-mail.
#2--- THIS SOFTWARE VERSION IS NOT AS GOOD AS THE LAST VERSION.
Well, maybe to the way u use ur Orion, the previous software was better. I have found nothing adverse with any upgrade so far. I guess that just means that i'm not as good am amateur as some of u other guys, since I can find nothing to complain about.
answer: Download the previous software that was a better fit to ur operating style.
#3--- I DEMAND TENTEC ADDRESS THESE ISSUES, FIX THESE PROBLEMS, ETC.
Fine, u got a problem, take it up with tentec. But just remember, every time u demand they fix something, the implication is that something is broke. I have yet to find anything broke on my Orion. I guess i'm just lucky. Or maybe I'm not as good an amateur as some of u guys, because I'm just not proficient enough to find anything to demand that they fix, address, etc.
answer: Every time u have buyer's remorse, pse don't have a nervous breakdown on this reflector. Go have a drink instead.
#4--- I AM SUPER A HAM AND SUPER ENGINEER, AND I HAVE TESTED THIS RADIO AGAINST OTHERS. I COULD HAVE DESIGNED BETTER RADIO, BUT TENTEC REFUSED TO LISTEN TO ME.
answer: Well, sport, go ahead and do it. Seriously, that's a sign of a personality disorder. i hope u get help, then rejoin this reflector.
#5--- ARE THE NEW ICOM AND YAESU SUPER $$ RADIOS BETTER?
answer: Considering that they're 2 and a half to 3 times more costly, they better be. But what does that have to do with ur Orion?
#6--- WHEN ARE THEY GOING TO FIX THE PTT?
answer: It seems this issue may have been addressed in the latest software, or at least an attempt has been made.
Which now brings us to a real issue
#7--- QSK DOESN'T WORK AT HIGH SPEEDS
Finally, a practical discussion about an operating issue. This seems to have come up in the latest software download.
answer: sri, I have no answer for this one. The discussion scared me off when speeds of 70 mph, sri wpm started being discussed. But I can tell u that I can't hear between the dits at 70 wpm either. Neither can I hear the dits themselves, dashes, or anything else at 70 wpm. In fact, I can barely understand spoken english at 70 wpm. I always thought that cw at speeds that high became RTTY.
I think once, there was a Marine Colonel that screamed at me at about that speed. It's hard to remember, because of the ensuing brain damage, but his spittle hitting my face seemed to be going at about 70 mph, sri wpm.
I envy u. I wish I cud cpy half that fast. That's actually a nice problem to have, from my perspective.
That's what I thought the purpose of this reflector was, to address real issues like that.
Granted, this QSK is now a problem for some, but with all the various internal controls on this rig, maybe there's an answer waiting to be found.
I am not technically oriented, but I have learned a few things about my Orion. I have learned that it has an awesome primary receiver, a solid second receiver, loads of features and adjustments that can be personalized, and a few quirks. but I don't sweat the quirks, because most people, inventions, etc, that push the envelope are temper mental, eccentric, or quirky (Einstein for example). Despite the few quirks that I have encountered, it is the finest piece of gear that has ever graced my shack.
I spend my time trying to incorporate my operating style with the abilities, quirks, characteristics of this radio, rather than making demands of tentec to make fixes. And I remain on this reflector, because some of u pass along practical tips that u have learned. to u guys, tnx, and keep'em coming.
Jack W4TJE