Re: [TenTec] Purchasing an Orion Soon

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Purchasing an Orion Soon
From: Joe Giacobello <k2xx@swva.net>
Date: Tue, 01 Jun 2004 20:30:00 -0400
While I am still evaluating it and learning how best to use it, the N4PY Orion control software makes the sweep function much sharper and considerably more useful. Simply double clicking on a peak, puts your VFO on the signal (CW) and only relatively minor adjustment of the VFO is required to peak it in the passband. You may want to factor that into your assessment vs the PROII

73, Joe

John L Merrill wrote:

N0KHQ@aol.com wrote:

Hello All.

I have been monitoring the progress of the Orion on this list for almost 2 years.

I own a Jupiter......and love it. I use it 98% of the time over the TS-830S and 756Proll.

We had a near lightning strike Thursday night......it smoked the IC-756Proll/Power Supply, the DEQ-2496 and the garage door opener. The TS-830S, Jupiter made it okay.

I would expect the insurance company to give me a check to replace all of the damaged equipment which should total about $3K.

Although I like the Proll, it does not offer the flexibility that the Orion offers.
I do realize that the Orion is not plug and play and that the learning curve could be quite steep.......depending on ones intelligence and patients. I'm getting into the Orion for the long haul, after all it is a rig that is continually in development.....and I like that.

I am a casual user, SSB only. So I could care less about QSK and CW issues that still seem to plague the Orion. (Info from list users)

My next door neighbor owns an Orion and has updated it with ver. 1.37. He says the Sweep function seems to be working a lot faster than before but still not as quickly as the 756Proll..........comments please!

My neighbor, when questioned about the monitor function through the front of the rig using stereo head phones has said that the audio sounds a little muffled. On my Jupiter I monitor the audio through the ACC in the rear and it sounds great........comments please!
Is the monitor function of the Orion being sampled from the actual RF out?

Has the frequency stabilization issue been resolved?

I am looking forward to taking the step of owning an Orion........its kinda scary.......but I think I can handle it.

Thanks for the input.

73
John / N0KHQ / St. Louis

Always on 18.130

Antennas:

You can build 'em better than you can buy 'em
Please visit the sites below:
http://www.hamuniverse.com/17mcoaxmox.html
http://www.cebik.com/n0khq.html
http://www.ssb-audio.com/forum/

You will be disappointed in the sweep of the Orion compared to the PROII. Even Ten Tec admits that. There are still a few bugs in the firmware but for basic receiver performance you cannot beat the Orion.

John N1JM