[TenTec] Orion's S-meter

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: [TenTec] Orion's S-meter
From: Martin Ewing <martin@aa6e.net>
Date: Sun, 06 Jun 2004 13:39:17 -0400
When checking the S-meter, be sure that your preamp is ON and the attenuators are OFF. It also helps to have the antenna buttons set right!

I get Q5 copy through my dummy load sometimes, but the meter hovers at S1...

-Martin, AA6E

p.s. It's annoying that the meter is run by a D to A converter from the control computer. It seems to be quantized and delayed compared to a classical analog connection. I note this especially on transmit power monitor. I want to see nice linear R-C time constants, not funny steps and/or hanging meters that may get delayed because of the VFO, the spectrum display, CW keying, serial port activity, or the phase of the moon.

Computerization of all these functions may offer lots of flexibility and save some cost, but if your CPU is not super fast, or if the software has bugs, you will see all the odd interactions that get reported on this list.