Re: [TenTec] transceiver test

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] transceiver test
From: Robert & Linda McGraw K4TAX <RMcGraw@Blomand.Net>
Date: Mon, 07 Jun 2004 14:21:34 -0500
I've a Paragon of 1991 vintage, a Paragon II and an Omni VI+.  I get the
same reports on all three.  I've decided that it is a psychoacoustic issue
more than anything.  Again, based on my measurement of actual oscillator
injection frequencies and BFO frequencies that comprise the makeup of
frequency determining elements, the radios are not changing frequency more
than 1 or 2 Hz and often less between RX and TX modes.

But with today's radios an the digital readouts that go to 1 Hz, some folks
camp on a number followed by a bunch of zeros and refuse to turn the knob.
Based on my measurements of some of these of recent design, they are wrong
more often than they are right.  I say that if one wishes to discuss
absolute frequency then a $2000 to $4000 radio isn't in the game.  It takes
a lot heavier hardware than that.  That's kinda like going bear hunting with
a .22 rifle.  Prepare to get eaten alive.

73
Bob, K4TAX