[TenTec] SDR advantages

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: [TenTec] SDR advantages
From: DennisKT5D@aol.com
Date: Tue, 8 Jun 2004 21:43:10 EDT
        Some things have been stated about this issue that are concept only
and don't find application in real life.

1. SDR's could be reprogrammed to be interoperable with other radios/services
when the need arises. Flat wrong with some vendors, Motorola for example.
Their ASTRO capable digital encrytpion cannot be programmed into any other
radio.
It is proprietary. If the SDR doesn't have the firmware, forget it.  And
their software isn't shareware folks; it's darned expensive! And if you aren't
an
approved user, you can't even buy it.

2. Let's change from double to triple conversion with SDR programming. I
don't think so if those stages aren't built in when it was manufactured.

3. Likewise, let's run the power up from 100 to 200 watts with programming.
Nope.

My point is this; SDR's are not the end all some folks think they are.