Re: [TenTec] Vertical Antennas (was Radials)

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Vertical Antennas (was Radials)
From: Ron Feutz <feutz@wctc.net>
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 2004 08:51:53 -0500
Jim,

My 160 array at the new QTH is two inverted L's with about 55' vertical spaced 1/4 wave and fed with the 90 degree ports of a Comtek 4 square controller for a switchable cardioid pattern. On-air results mirror the modeling from ON4UN's book. F/B is anywhere from 1 to 2+ S units, depending on the arrival angle of the incoming signal. The model shows a very broad front lobe, with the 3 db points at 176 degrees, and results confirm that. I pointed mine so that the "nulls" did not effect any significant DX areas. Pointed east, it covers northern EU to South America/Caribbean. Pointed west, it covers everything else (from central WI). The "nulls" are not really null. In my case, the southern null points at west MS, east TX, and I work everyone who is on there in the contests. Signal strengths are equal in the "nulls", regardless of which way the array is pointed. All in all, a very effective array for both TX and, thanks to the F/B, for RX as well. Definitely for the low bands, phased vertical arrays are the way to go if you have the room. There are cheaper ways to feed it - I had the Comtek box from a 4-sq at the previous QTH. Get ON4UN's book for a wealth of info on all types of phased arrays.

73,

Ron - WA9IRV