Re: [TenTec] It just depends...

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] It just depends...
From: "Dave Edwards" <kd2e@comcast.net>
Date: Sat, 12 Jun 2004 12:27:25 -0400
I am still in the process of deciding!
I am fascinated by smooth, seemless QSK.
I have not had smooth, seemless QSK since the Old Swan twins (600's).
You could switch the antenna with a Johnson TR switch, and the muting
function was done with an internal solid-state switch. It was the best I've
ever had the joy of using.
I then went through TS-520's, 820's, 830, 850, 440, and a 757GX. (which
ain't a bad rig!)...currently have a 1000D and a 756Pro.
Nothing came close to the old Swan twins for effortless QSK.
I gave up, until I built an Elecraft K1.  WOW!!   Nirvana....again!!
Perfect QSK!!!
This got me all charged up to re-visit the possibility that someone DOES
have an interest in QSK.
So, I got an Omni V, and soon traded up for an Omni VI+...and purchased an
Argonaut V new.
I always thought TenTec was the MFJ of transceivers, and I am still in the
process of making my decision as to what I think of them.  So far, I have
concluded for sure that the Argonaut is a 'fun' rig. It has several flaws,
and is useless for SSB work. The Omni VI+??  Well, it is also 'fun', and
easy to operate...kind of reminds me of the old TS520, or a Drake TR7. But,
it does have its' spurs all over, and digital 'hash' when tuning around.
The Argonaut's QSK is good. The Omni VI+ QSK is not as good.
If only I could combine some aspects of the K1 with the TR7 and
FT1000D....I'd have my rig!!
...Dave