[TenTec] Orion Sweep - Mark

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: [TenTec] Orion Sweep - Mark
From: N0KHQ@aol.com
Date: Sat, 12 Jun 2004 19:18:26 EDT
Hi Mark,

The Orion Sweep is similar to the Jupiter in respect to the width of the of
the signals shown. This is adjustable by varying the bandwidth.

Right now I have the Orion Sweep size set at 72khz, the Bandwidth set at 3K
and Roofing Filter set at 6K. By decreasing the Bandwidth from 3K to 1.8K the
Sweep samples become narrow.......and that's what is supposed to happen. When
the Sweep size is set to 32khz and the Bandwidth is left at 3K the samplings
will be "fat". As you reduce the size of the Bandwidth down to, lets say 1.8K,
the samplings begin to narrow. This is expected.

As a former IC-756Proll owner. I must say that the Orion Sweep is as good or
better. The 756Proll should not be used as a standard. (TT sets the standard
for excellence) It is best to sample the audio signal from the Orion "Line Out"
to a PC based Spectral Analyzer, I use Hamalyzer for all of my work and
testing.

I would imagine that the "real" Sweep testing will come those that run CW.
This should get pretty interesting.

The Orion Sweep has been running all day with no signs of erratic
behavior........just smooth and accurate.

Later

73
John / N0KHQ / St. Louis

Always on 18.130

Antennas:

You can build 'em better than you can buy 'em
Please visit the sites below:
http://www.hamuniverse.com/17mcoaxmox.html
http://www.cebik.com/n0khq.html
http://www.ssb-audio.com/forum/