[TenTec] On Grounding

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: [TenTec] On Grounding
From: Robert & Linda McGraw K4TAX <RMcGraw@Blomand.Net>
Date: Fri, 18 Jun 2004 09:57:39 -0500
For those that have commented to me directly and here on the reflector, the
technical issues of proper lightning grounds are very well covered
on the Polyphaser web site at:

 http://www.polyphaser.com/ppc_pen_home.asp

While I do not specifically endorce their prouducts, their technology is
simply "the best"!  My advice........follow it to the "T".

As stated to one persons inquiry, "most ham stations today do not need an RF
ground".  With coax fed and balanced fed antennas, no RF ground is needed.
I find a great deal of dispersion of thoughts and opinions regarding
differences between RF grounding and lightning grounding.  One other point
which was or is startling to learn by some is the fact that an improper
ground system can actually be dangerous.  Much more dangerous to life and
property than no ground at all.

Properly done and within everyones budget and knowledge of the subject,
there is absolutely no reason for ham radio equipment to be damaged by a
lightning strike.

73
Bob, K4TAX