Re: [TenTec] "New" Ten-Tec Delta 580; Opinions & In sights

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] "New" Ten-Tec Delta 580; Opinions & In sights
From: mark.milburn@juno.com
Date: Fri, 18 Jun 2004 11:53:29 -0500
I also have a 580.  It's on standby as I have switched to a Jupiter, but
I love the 580.  You're right, I wouldn't count on too much accuracy from
the readout, but I don't put that much importance on that, either.  The
only problem I had with the Delta is the lack of an RF Gain Control.  In
noisy conditions I like to be able to decrease the RF gain, but the Delta
has just the 20 db attenuator and even that is unhandy to use on the back
of the panel.  I have used my Delta for many different modes and it
operated fine wherever I tried to use it.  It is also proven durable for
me.  I bought mine when they first came out and had to send it back to
the factory for installation of the WARC bands, but other than that it
has gone back once for what turned out to be a cracked crystal and once
for just general maintenance.  It's a great simple rig for those that
don't care much about all the fancy memories and such, and comes with the
usual TenTec care for the CW user as well as the fantastic maintenance.
Guess I'm like Charleton Heston ... they'll have to pry mine from my cold
dead hand.
73  Mark   KQ0I
Des Moines, Iowa