Re: [TenTec] E-Ham Bad Orion Review

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] E-Ham Bad Orion Review
From: "N. Kirk Pearson" <nkirkpearson@bresnan.net>
Date: Sun, 20 Jun 2004 19:58:21 -0600
Ken Brown wrote:

Hi Mike,

There are many radios that have much better performance than the Drake 2b / 2BQ Heath DX-60 / HG-10, and do not get "stuck" and require rebooting or power cycling to start working again. So I do not think that insisting on consistant and reliable operation means that one must accept 1960s tube technology performance.

I hope that someone, maybe Ten-Tec with a new firmware release for the Orion, can demonstrate that top level performance using microprocessors and DSP, can be accomplished with reliability and consistancy. I believe that is a reasonable expectation from a production radio, just as reliability from a commercial airliner is a resonable expectation. I think that a much lower level of reliablity and consistancy is acceptable for a homebrew project or laboratory feasability demonstation, be it a radio or an airplane.

I have never tried an Orion and don't own one. So I dont know, perhaps all the people who post reports of their Orion's getting stuck and requiring a reset to get them working again, have failed to pay attention to all details in their firmware download procedures, or have done something else wrong.

You may be the first person to call me ultra conservative.

73 DE N6KB

The Orion is charting a new course in Ham radio with the software defined platform and it is hard to imagine such an undertaking not involving some trial and error. Part of the Amatuer's code is to stay abreast of technology and that requires the ability to view glitches as challenges during the pioneering of this new technology. I've only had opportunity to examine one Orion and it was not a dissapointment. For those who want to stay in charted territory there are always used Omnis to be had. I would'nt let fear of radio problems keep me away from TOP performance.
73 DE KI7YY