Re: [TenTec] E-Ham Bad Orion Review

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] E-Ham Bad Orion Review
From: "Steve N4LQ" <n4lq@iglou.com>
Date: Sun, 20 Jun 2004 23:20:14 -0400
"the Orion is the first of a new breed of radios wherein software is
an intergal part of its operation ability."

What about the old Pegasus? Software played a big role in it's operation
ability. Then the Jupiter. Same thing. Not to mention Argo V plus all their
receivers for the past several years. I've just come to the conclusion that
the Orion's CPU just can't keep up which results in glitches, bugs and the
appearance that no 2 Orion's work the same.
I certainly see no reason to berate someone simply because they expect a
$3,600 rig to work right out of the box.
I, as much as anyone want the Orion to succeed. I waited a full year before
buying one only to be plagued with multiple firmware problems right from the
beginning. When posting anything about the bugs, some folks would take it as
a personal attack instead of trying to help. As for the Eham review, I
really can't blame the poor guy because I've been through the same thing he
has. The difference was , he held out longer than I did. After 2 weeks of
fighting the bugs, I sent mine back. We should all understand this and not
try to belittle someone who's frustration finally got the best of them. BTW,
I am very acquainted with computer glitches. I've worked in an  IT
department for the past 27 years! I've supported every version of dos, OS2
and Windows. The Orion made me feel like I was still at work.
I am certainly thankful for TenTec's 30 day trial policy although it did
take 2 emails, phone call and 3 weeks before they finally credited my VISA.
No explanation was given for that bit of poor service. I say this just to
warn folks that a refund may not always be timely.
As for reviews on Eham. Yes, they are not always very technical but at least
they are not influenced by advertising like some of the magazines. I've
found the reviews to be more help than harm.
Now as for my "opinion" of the Orion:  I had AM/BC radio stations breaking
through all over 160 and 80 meters. I had to install an external BC filter
from ICE to reduce these. None of my other receivers exhibit this problem
except for my Triton IV. The DSP filters were quiet broad compared to my
Pro2. I read every article, link and comment about how great the adjustable
AGC was and how to adjust it but in every instance, the Pro2 was much better
when it came to pulling weak signals out of the noise. 2 weeks of A/B
testing proved this to me. I flipped that A/B switch so many times that the
knob actually fell off (seriously). The band scope is worthless, if not
counterproductive since it's a known cpu hog. QSK was dog slow and tended to
produce audio clicks. As for BDR, I had a very hard time trying to find
enough QRM to test this. I did not have any optional roofing filters in my
Orion. The QST review states that the 500hz roofing filter actually caused
poorer performance so why bother with it? The LCD display took about 2 hours
to really get warmed up. In the meantime, the characters would blur when
tuning the vfo. There seems to be some heat issues with that display. So
what did I like? Not a lot. I did like the large size of the radio and wish
they were all this big. I did like the loud KURRRRCLUNK when you turn it
off. It gave me same feeling I get when pulling the handle on a 200 amp
breaker.
So that's my opinion. Now some of you guys won't agree and I'm sure you'll
be very vocal about it. Fine. Make my day. Just don't accuse me of being
anti TenTec. I'm setting here with a Centurion, Hercules II, Triton 544 and
am very happy with them. They work as expected. No surprises.

Steve N4LQ