Re: [TenTec] ORION and IC7800 - Kirby - GUI's

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] ORION and IC7800 - Kirby - GUI's
From: Charles Greene <W1CG@QSL.NET>
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 2004 06:29:42 -0400
At 12:37 AM 6/29/2004, you wrote:

---snip---

> One thing I have done is to run two simultaneous
> copies of MixW, controlling two K2s on different
> bands, and transmit/receive digital signals on one
> or the other, shifting rigs by the click of a mouse
> and typing in the window that is selected.  The non
> transmitting rig copies the selected station
> while transmitting on the other. Typical SO2R
> operation.

Similarly in concept I've been running 4 "radios"
simultaneously on 4 separate bands and have all of
them communicating with WriteLog. Works pretty darn
slick too, rather than trying to drive radios from
WriteLog I drive the radios from the N4PY software
sessions and the WriteLog program dutifully follows. I
can envision many improvements over what I'm now
doing, but the limitations to date are mostly the
hardware that is being driven, not the software, after
all software can only do what the hardware will let
it.

Duane,

Read your fine response.

Some questions,

I have been hesitant about registering with N4PY software, as other rig control software I have used are just pretty pictures of the front panel and just duplicate rig controls. I am using N1MM Logger software http://pages.cthome.net/n1mm/. Do you know if it integrates as well with N4PY software as Writelog? I queryed N4PY and he said he was not familiar with N1MM Logger.

I have been operating SO2R with 2 K2s, but one of the K2s is the original QRP version and I want to keep it that way. So I am going to try SO2R with one K2 /100 and one Omni-VI, both of which are 100 watts, and possibly use a linear on one or both. Can I do this with one copy of N4PY software?

The final thing is that with the either the K2 or OMNI-VI, I'm not sure the N2PY program is worth it because of the limited functions you can control. If I had an Orion, that would be a different story. Comment?

Duane
N9DG