[TenTec] TenTec Orion Reliability

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: [TenTec] TenTec Orion Reliability
From: Robert & Linda McGraw K4TAX <RMcGraw@Blomand.Net>
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 2004 12:39:46 -0500
I can understand Tom's concerns.  At the same time it is my belief that
something that is deemed "unreliable" is something that fails frequently or
something that has demonstrated repeated failures.

Actually, in reading about Tom's concerns, this may be a case of software
not performing or causing the Orion to perform up to expectations.  If
operations are "abc" one day and then "acb" the next and then with an
occasional "x" thrown in, this demonstrates some instability in the MP or
the memory.  Typically, memory access speed is a cause for concern when
these events occur.  Perhaps there is a component or components that can be
replaced to cause repeated consistent operations.  Case after case I have
personally witnessed components of the same type, identical for all
purposes, but from different manufacturers, i.e. Toshiba, Futgitsu, TI,
Motorola and such that perform differently although the "specs" are the
same.  This can even extend down to different productions lots of the same
type from the same manufacturer.  Things like this drive us "software nuts"
nuts!

In my case I have a Brand X radio that has been to the manufacturer's
service center some 5 times in the past 18 months.  In each case there was
identified a component fault but never the same component according to them.
This is a case of classic "unreliability" at its finest in my book.  And
yes, the Brand X company has graciously sent me an invoice with each repair.
While I've requested their understanding, they seem very un compassionate to
specifically address my concerns.

And for those that know me personally then you know, and for those that
don't know me, be advised that I worked for a major Japanese electronics
company for some 15+ years.  I have a clue as to their thinking and business
practice.

73
Bob, K4TAX