[TenTec] Yaesu FT-1000MP vs Tentec ORION

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: [TenTec] Yaesu FT-1000MP vs Tentec ORION
From: "Eric SENSI" <on6cv@hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 2004 14:06:46 +0000
Yaesu FT-1000MP vs Tentec ORION
======================

Hello everybody,

First of all I'd like to say that I do not want to compare both rigs. There are a bunch of reviews
available on the internet and I have it all.

I'm the owner of the YAESU FT-1000MP with it's companion desk microphone MD-100 and I'm really
happy with it and it's features !

But, as the "better" is the ennemy of the "good", I'm looking for something else, something different... I'm looking for a long time at that wonderful TENTEC ORION (565) with or without the internal tuner.

So, I'm just wondering if I'm taking the TT ORION, I do not want to "loose" some features that I'm using on my present FT-1000MP... I know this ORION beats the FT-1000MP on several things but if someone could answer these little questions below (short answers are ok ! Yes, no, I don't know... etc) this could be very kind from you !

So let's go :

1. Is there any quick memory bank channels to store frequencies during HF operations ? I suppose I have to use the 4 band stacking registers instead, am I right ?

2. Is there any channel step size function for example when listening to broadcast stations which have a 9KHz channel step spacing ?

3. Is there any scanning function on the ORION ? No information about VFO or memory scan function into the ORION manual.

4. During transverter operation, is there any change into the frequency display like 50MHz, 144MHz, etc ?

5. Is there any "beep" when a key is pressed on the front panel ? Is the volume adjustable ?

6. For FSK/RTTY operation - Are the shift and polarity adjustable ? The ORION user manual is talking
about the tone only (high/low).

7. Is there any CTCSS tone selection to access repeaters ? No info into the ORION manual for FM
repeater operation !

8. About the internal antenna tuner. Why is it only active on the ANT1 connection ? I suppose it is
"by design" ?

9. Tentec do not provide the LDG internal autotuner for the TT565 as an option ! At least, at this time. Information from the UK Tentec dealer.

10. Optional 310 fan. Is this fan thermostatically controled once you connect it to the +13.8VDC cinch connector at the back ? Does it runs all the time or not ?

That's all... I know that some questions are "stupid" (e.g. #4, #5, #10) but it is just a rough comparison between the 2 rigs... these are not technical differences but functional differences !

I want the best, but I do not want to loose some of the functionalities of my FT-1000MP !

Thanks to all, and please excuse my english, this is not my main language, so i'm not always responsible for all the mistakes ! HI 3x ! :-)

Eric, ON6CV
30/06/2004